Friday 22 January 2010

Just a quick update, as I have no new work to post at the moment.
 Had an excellent day in Ceramics yesterday, creating a book out of paper pages and clay slip, similar to the method used to make saggar firing kilns, painting each page with slip then drying with a hot air gun. This will now be fired and hopefully become a very fragile book  (I have a 20% chance success rate according to Simon our ceramics tutor, so lots of crossed fingers please ;-)) I will then use more clay and/or textiles to make further additions, consisting of moths and/or butterflies.
I spent the whole day doing this and expected it to be quite boring, but have to say I really enjoyed the process even if I did take more clay slip home on my clothes and person than I left in the studio! and if doesn't work this time I am quite prepared to try again ;-)
Tidying up my digital photo library I came across a couple of my cloth doll pics, so thought I would post them here as due to changes they are no longer on my (new) website. The second (clown) was made from a pattern, designed by Jill Maas



4 comments:

Charlotte said...

i loveeeee!!

Charlotte said...

i loveeee!!

Jan said...

How cool! I've been very remiss about visiting other blogs to comment and I see that you've had a lot to show us over the past few weeks!

Your dolls are exquisite and I can't wait to see your book page. Fingers are crossed that it will turn out well!

geraldine.boley@googlemail.com said...

Thank you Charlotte and Jan.
The book should be fired by next week, in the mean time I am looking at making a textile moth, to put in between the pages ;-)