Tuesday 4 August 2009

BUSTER/TERRIER






After transferring my initial drawing
to mount board (cream), Buster has been blocked in
with soft pastels, this looks a bit odd to begin with as the colours tend to be rough and patchy.
Further layers are built up and refined, the top layers in pastel pencils to provide fineness of line and affording more control.
I normally work from top left to bottom right, covering the work with layout paper as I go to avoid smudging.
I have started to work on some of the head and neck detail, and will work down through the body, to legs and feet.



4 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Nice start Geraldine. I've never worked with pastels on mountboard but have long admired the work of Mary Herbert who does. Are you enjoying it?

geraldine.boley@googlemail.com said...

Thanks Sue,
have a way to go........I have done several of my portraits (Oskar on chair, Sid etc) on mount board and to date it is probably my favorite support for pastels. It is surprising how much pastel it will take and although the under layers never look very promising, you can get a good amount of detail on top. I like a fairly smooth, firm support (hate velour!) and this fits the bill;-) Yes I love Mary Herbert's work too.

pett paintings said...

Great start Geraldine,I love this pose so very JRT! never thought to try mountboard myself either~ great idea for using up all those scraps of board lying around;-)

geraldine.boley@googlemail.com said...

Thanks Kay, hope to post update later ;-)